Legal Counsel | >8 years | Trading and Commodities | Singapore
Client: MNC International Energy Trading Company
Business areas: Procurement, trading, energy-related financial services, private equity investments
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Liaising with traders and the logistics team to advise on all aspects of physical and financial trading contracts
- Developing reviewing and negotiating terms for financial and physical products and implementing side letters / amending agreements including both ISDA and more bespoke and structured financial trading agreements
- Carrying out due diligence on new jurisdictions prior to commencing trading
- Advising on freight contracts and matters ancillary to the shipping of physical commodities
- Advising on and managing contentious trading matters / disputes
- Providing legal advice in relation to all standard and non-standard trading and shipping documentation including LOIs and bills of lading
- Advising on and keeping abreast of existing and planned changes in relevant legislation
- Advising on credit matters relating to the commodity trading: Managing and developing relationships with external counsel where required (although candidates must be able to deliver a high quality of accurate advice in-house, without routinely incurring external legal costs)
- Drafting memos and guidance notes to the trading desks;
- Provide detailed research and support in respect of new trading activities
- Day to day reporting will be to the Senior Legal Advisor (Global Commodities & Markets) in Swindon, United Kingdom.
- Daily contact with the following departments: legal / traders / logistics team / sales and marketing / compliance / credit / risk / back office / finance / insurance.
Candidates will be solicitors or barristers qualified in England and Wales (being the predominant jurisdiction in relation to international shipping and physical and financial commodity trading) with post qualification experience with a leading English law practice. Dual qualification in Singapore will be a significant advantage.
Desired Skills and Experience
Corporate Law, Legal Advice, Legal Research, Legal Writing, Intellectual Property, International Law, Litigation, Commercial Litigation, Corporate Governance, Legal Assistance, Arbitration, Joint Ventures, Dispute Resolution, Contract Law, Employment Law, Due Diligence, Civil Litigation, Courts, Negotiation, Competition Law
Job number: L0119 - 2754 - SG
Interested candidates please contact Shanice Lim at +65 65358255 or email@example.com for a confidential discussion.
Compliance and Regulatory